With less than four weeks to go – have you thought about what can be done to honour Tata Madiba’s call to acknowledge his birthday and memory by making a difference in the community? As much as anything else, he left us with this legacy and obligation – to do what we can do to help those who are vulnerable and less fortunate than ourselves.
From our side, we welcome volunteers and donations but we also understand that it’s not always possible to get directly involved. And as much as we love hosting volunteers it isn’t always possible for us to accommodate all groups of people in the nursery on 18 July.
If you would like to make a difference during July, here are some simple suggestions for doing your bit:
- Donate 67 minutes to volunteering during the month of July.
- Donate R67 (yes, R67 = 6 loaves of bread, 3 boxes of tissue or 6 bottles of allergex with change!)
- Take one of our collection tins to your office/classroom/sportsclub etc and ask colleagues to fill it with their spare coins.
- Get together with friends, colleagues or family and make a lasagne, vegetable soup or cottage pie that can feed babies or birth moms (these can also be frozen and used after 18 July).
- Circulate our wish list (please remember that every contribution makes a difference)
- Spring clean your cupboards and donate unused items to us. Anything that can’t be used will be passed on to other childcare centres or sold second hand to raise funds towards our monthly costs.
- Clear your bookshelves and donate books to our book sales.
- Have a cake sale at your work, book club, church or any community group that you are part of, and donate the money to us or buy items from our wishlist.
We were blessed to share a portion of Madiba’s life and inherit the legacy of his personal sacrifices.
In whatever way you choose to get involved this year, we wish you a fulfilling experience and the knowledge that, in the end, it is the combination of individual contributions that make the collective difference.